Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Introducing B&K to the cabin

JUNE 10, 2011

And to think we half-contemplated not coming up this weekend. I say half-contemplated, because in my mind there really was no doubt that we would be coming up here (to the cabin) this weekend, even with rain and cooler temps in the forecast.

We hit the road about 8:00 this morning. Made a pit-stop in Motley (about 2 hours into the drive) – bathroom break, snack, and a quick game of tag in the park (no equipment) to stretch our legs.

Arrived at the cabin just before 11:30. The boys were extremely excited (I was, too), and they absolutely LOVE the place! I don't think I could even imagine them not liking the place. We brought a few toys up here last weekend (cars/trucks/trains) – got the boys playing with those while we unloaded the van and set a few things up.

I picked up a bunkbed ($100 craigslist posting) Wednesday night. The only beds up here were Brendan and Keenan's bunkbed – Rob and I needed something to sleep on, and we hadn't decided what to do about our bed situation, yet. Put the beds together in our room.

Took a bit of a break from bringing stuff in before hauling the couch in. That sucker is HEAVY. It wasn't easy carrying it out of our house, and into the van – I wasn't looking forward to carrying it into the cabin and up the stairs to the living room! Needless to say, we barely got it in the house. The couch is in the downstairs living room – and will stay there until we get someone a bit (a lot) stronger than me to help haul it upstairs.

Made a trip into Park Rapids, the closest “big town.” First stop was a little store called S&L outlet – our neighbor recommended the place to us. They sell a little bit of everything, including mattresses and furniture. We bought 2 pillow-top twin mattresses, a queen-sized bed frame, a queen-sized mattress and boxspring, and a cutting board. The twin-sized mattresses went in the van (we needed those TONIGHT). The queen bed and mattress set is being delivered tomorrow. How awesome is that??!? I totally love that they are delivering, at no extra charge! I told them they should give our neighbors a discount the next time they're shopping there!!!

We then headed to Main Street. Rob promised the boys a trip to the candy store. After picking out candy (lots of taffy), we wandered Main Street for a bit. There's a few gift shops and specialty stores (including one for knitters and quilters), a couple of candy and ice cream shops, some restaurants. There's a thrift store down there, too – picked up a napkin holder, tea kettle, and set of coasters for $5. I definitely want to wander that area again....but with a girlfriend, and no kids!!!

Finally left Main Street and headed to Wal-Mart for another “stock the cabin” shopping trip. Some things we picked up include: Lawnmower, bathroom garbage can, tall kitchen garbage can (for recyclables), pillows, mattress pads, Pull-Ups and butt wipes, sunscreen; also picked up some grocery items....milk, cheese, butter, frozen veggies, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, etc.... and yes, I picked up some fresh food (apples, grapefruit, bananas, carrots, lemon, potatoes), too!

Saw two loons on our lake on the way back to the cabin. So cool!

We are a bit secluded right now, and out of touch with “the rest of the world.” Our cell phones don't work here – a small pocket that Verizon doesn't reach. No broadcast television, either – we're going to have to go the satellite route if we want TV. This will be a great weekend for us to hang out and explore....rest, relax, and have some fun together, and enjoy the beauty and tranquility that this place offers us.

To me....this place is amazing!!! I love it here. And so far, the boys are loving it, too!!!


JUNE 11, 2011

Another exciting day....and it's only 4:30!!!

Relaxing morning....as relaxing as it can get with our two boys! Actually, I was able to read for a little bit – grabbed a blanket and headed to the basement to sit on the reclining couch. Brendan came down after a while to say “Good Morning,” and to snuggle and yap. He then grabbed a book and sat next to me to read, too. Then Rob came down, and our reading time ended.

Sidenote discussion on reading, and books: Our library system has a summer reading reward program. After so many hours of reading (10 hours, I think), children can bring in their filled in sheet for a reward (water bottle); they can bring in their sheet, again, after 20 hours of reading to get a slightly bigger reward (I don't remember what it is). Here's my question: My child doesn't need a reading reward program to get him reading. This kid LOVES to read. I'd love to be able to have him participate in the reading program, but how do I/we keep track of the time he spends reading? Want to know what else amazes me about this kid??? He's reading multiple books, at the same time – there's one at home that we started reading together (My Father's Dragon); he left that one at home and brought a different one for us to read together here at the cabin (Hop: the movie); he's got books in each bathroom (two at home; and now two at the cabin); there's one in the car for this weekend (Guinness World Records, 2010 edition); plus at least one or two other books just lying around! How do you keep that many storylines straight???!?

Re-arranged beds this morning, so as to make room for the queen bed arriving here this evening. There are now two sets of bunk beds in the boys' room....and it will probably stay that way for a while. How many beds/people do you think we can sleep in this house. Once our new bed arrives tonight, we will have enough sleeping space for 6 people. We easily have room for two more bunk beds in the playroom/guest room....giving us a total of 10 sleeping spaces. I like those numbers.

Took a walk mid-morning; followed the “Minimum Maintenance Road.” I should have worn Garmin, gosh-darnit. I thought about grabbing it for our walk, but once again, I didn't. Silly me....next time, I will. I also need to go back to MapMyRun or GoogleMaps to look at some running options. Have I mentioned that I think it would be really cool to do Yoga out on our deck, or....even better.....out on the dock???!? I'll have to work on improving my yoga-knowledge!

Keenan found a toad on the deck. He left it alone, but then Brendan came out....he kept touching it and making it jump around the deck. I took a video clip of it.

Had some lunch, then headed into downtown Nevis. They were having some sort of 50s/60s “bash.” The boys played at the community park, and we walked around town for a bit. It's a small town, but nice – there's a 10-hole mini-golf course. Kids 3 and under are free; everyone else is $2. I like cheap entertainment. Stopped in the consignment store – I wasn't impressed. I did find a piece of furniture I liked – a cedar (or some other wood) chest. There was also a matching bookcase table and end table. Don't know how much the chest cost, but I think the asking price for the other two tables was $150 each. Oh well.....now, if it had been $150 for all three pieces, I would have been making a trip back with the van to pick it up. I would consider paying $75 for the chest....wish I had seen a price; didn't feel like asking about it at the time. Stopped by the meat store, too. They were cooking up Wild Rice Brats outside the store (as part of the 50s/60s 'bash'). Rob and I got one to share, but then the boys wanted to taste it, and once they got a taste, we had to buy another one! They're too funny, I tell ya! A few more minutes of playground time (while Rob made a liquor run – Summer Shandy, and some margarita mixes) before heading back home.

Hung out at the dock for a bit. It warmed up quite nicely today. So nice, in fact, that I regret not having packed shorts or swim trunks for the boys. As we sat and 'played' on the dock, their clothes started coming off. Keenan was down to his pull-up, and Brendan was down to his underwear. It was hilarious. Rob thinks they're weird; I just laugh, because I actually encourage it....they're still young enough to do it. Keenan and Rob headed in to get cleaned up. I stayed out on the dock with Brendan....and he finally got all the way in the water – he swam out to the edge of the dock, did a few bobs and such. He was having a great time!

Came in to get Brendan cleaned up and warmed up – Brendan received the honors of being the first one with a wood tick. It was on his left hip.

And now....we're heading into the evening. Rob is out mowing the grass. The boys are downstairs in the playroom (future guest room).

Not sure what we'll do this evening. Maybe put in a movie (it's the only thing we can do with the television for the time being). Maybe read (this is what I'd like to do). Maybe play some games (we have quite a few of those already).

No comments: