Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lots of swimming

July 29

I hope I never tire of this place. I love the serenity here.

Left for the cabin around 9 this morning. Took the Saturn, as we didn't need to bring any big stuff with us for this weekend. Next trip, we'll bring the van – I want to bring up the chest of drawers. Plus, we'll be up here for a much longer period of time.

It's going to be a beautiful weekend. Highs in the 80s, lows in the 60s. Really! We couldn't ask for a better weather forecast!!!

After a quick lunch, Rob mowed part of the grass. I uncovered the pontoon, and opened up the bimini top. We hadn't opened up the bimini top, yet....thought now was as good a time as any to open it up.

Looks like Rob is ready to take a break from mowing. He's done about half of it. Time to “lube up” (put sunscreen on), get swimsuits on (oh, wait...mine's already on!), and head out on the lake.

==========

I learned how to drive the pontoon! Not such a difficult task, but, having never driven a boat bigger than the Waverunner, I was nervous to drive it for the first time.

Brendan and Rob went for a bike ride on the Minimum Maintenance road. I sat out on the deck, reading. All of a sudden, I hear Brendan crying. He wiped out, and scraped up his elbow. Poor guy. Gotta get those bumps and bruises at some point in time, right??? Reminds me of the wipeout I took as a kid (which was far worse than the one he took, and I still walked away from it).

Watched Monsters, Inc. after dinner.

July 30

A cloudy start to the morning, with a little bit of rain. Needed to get a few things in town (Park Rapids), so we went on a little driving adventure, without a map. Found our neighbors' cabin, on Big Stony Lake.

Stopped at the candy store in downtown Park Rapids. Saw some “Angry Birds” shirts. Thought it funny, seeing as how my BIL got the boys hooked on Angry Birds.

Picked up a couple of pins for the pontoon's bimini top. Those suckers weren't cheap – $6.99/piece. But, hey....they'll keep the bimini top in place.

Skies cleared up, and the sun came out after lunchtime.

Put the Waverunner in, and took it out for a while. Rob still doesn't think it's reaching top speed, but it seems to be running better than it was last summer. I got it up to 49mph....that's fast enough for me.

And now, it's clouding up again.

Started making a wish list of things I/we would like to have for the cabin: hammock, patio table & chairs, picnic table, blender, toaster oven (waiting for our gift to arrive, it's been on back order), camping/outdoor cooking gear, grill, game table & chairs, framed aerial pic of East Crooked Lake, bedside table, boat-shaped bookcase, lamps, bar stools, oversized cushy chairs, cabin décor, ATV, snowmobile. Remember, it's a wish list....it's not all going to possible, some of it might have to wait a few years (i.e., ATV and snowmobile).

Took the pontoon out for one more spin around the lake -- call it a "practice drive" for me taking the pontoon out without Rob being around. Brendan went with me....for another swim session....his third time today. The kid loves jumping off the pontoon -- so funny!

July 31

Again, didn't hang out for too long this morning. Rob cut down a couple of dead trees along the lake shore. I got the cover put on the pontoon.

Drove a slightly different direction – into Akeley, to see the Paul Bunyan statue.

Stopped at the DQ in Motley for lunch.

Got home about 2:30. Unpacked the car. I made a run to Trader Joe's – picked up 4 CASES (!!!) of Rice Milk. We should be set for a while – 1 case will go with us up to the cabin next week, seeing as how the boys will be there for two weeks.

Rob picked beaucoup de raspberries (plus, there's a ton more in the freezer). Ended up making another grocery run (this time to Cub Foods), to pick up pectin (and a few other things). Took the easy route, and made a batch of no-cook raspberry jam. I hope it's tasty!!!

No comments: